Blog Prompt #8

Why does Dr. Munarriz consider the label “Latin American Music” problematic? Do you agree or disagree with his position? Why?

The problem with the label “Latin American Music” is that it encompasses a multitude of distinct musical styles and genres from across a huge diversity of cultures. I agree with his statement that regardless of whether we end up using certain or not, it’s important to be aware of the implications they carry. Now that I’ve watched (watched!! With visuals!!!!!) Dr. Munarriz’s lecture, I think that with a better awareness for specific terms comes an appreciation for more distinct styles of music. Using the general label without understanding what it refers to can erase the actual diversity within “Latin American Music.”

What is the difference between Latin American Music and Latin Music?

Latin American Music is created by Latin Americans in Latin America. Latin Music refers to music created by citizens or residents of the US with Latin American heritage.

What are ostinatos and how are they used in many Caribbean and Latin American musical expressions?

In Caribbean and Latin American musics, unlike most Western music, an ostinato can be specific to a certain style or region. It’s usually a rhythmic “anchor” that structures the entire piece.

What are some of the Latin American expressions in which the so called “Habanera Pattern” can be easily identified?

The contradanza, tumba francesa, quadrille, and payada are just a few. After listening to this session, I’m hearing it everywhere…even when it isn’t there!